Put Your Smart Home to Work
Throughout the year we endeavor to keep you abreast of the latest in technologies and trends. 2017 has witnessed the adoption of integrated voice control, amazing advances in LEDs, incredible strides in virtual reality and so much more! Our smart homes are truly getting smarter and smarter, but how can we use their features to make our homes safer? Well, here are some simple ways to put your home automation system to work, ensuring you and your family a happy, healthy and safe holiday season.
1) Light it Up! Every deterrent counts when a would-be burglar assesses your home’s vulnerability. A well-lit home is your first defense. Use landscape lighting, flood lights, and motion-activated lighting around your entire home.
2) Fake them out! Create lighting scenes that truly mimic your patterns while you’re away. Control4 calls it Mockupancy™. Indoor and exterior lights, shades, televisions and even the Christmas tree are set up on alternating sequences to simulate that lived-in look.
3) Lock it Up! Automated door locks (smartlocks) with integrated alarms and anti-pick shields add an extra layer of security and convenience.
4) Lock it down! If you’ve got a home security system, use it. If you don’t have one, call us. If you’ve got one and haven’t used it for a while, call us to schedule to check. Aside from deterring potential thieves, a monitored security system alerts first responders to fire and medical emergencies. And this is a great time to check that your carbon monoxide detectors are working properly.
5) Keep an eye on it! Enhance your security system with cameras and motion sensors. Their presence alone is a great deterrent. You’ll be able to keep an eye on things while away and access recordings should any misdeeds occur.
6) Download the App! Embrace the technology and use the various features available. They offer incredible convenience and peace of mind.
7) Gate it off! Be cyber safe by updating your home network. We’re savvy to the latest potential threats and can help protect your home’s critical infrastructure.
8) Pull the plug! Eliminate the possibility of having your garage door breached. Pull the plug when you’re planning to be away.
9) Resist the urge! We’re our own worst enemies. Don’t flaunt those beautifully wrapped gifts in the windows for all to see, hold off on that social post from your exotic locale until you’re back home and break down the boxes that your new electronic toys came in to avoid curbside advertising of what’s new on the inside.
Be smart and stay safe and healthy this holiday season. If you have any questions about home automation and its role in your safety and security, please contact us. We’re here to help. Wishing you and yours the happiest of holidays.